August 26, 2011

Money Magazine's Best Places to Live: Friday Feature

On Fridays we discuss the best thing we read this week and why. This week's best left me with mixed emotions.

Yesterday I received Money Magazine's September issue. The front cover tauted the 100 Best Places to Live in America. Inside, #1 was Louisville, Colorado and #20 Superior, Colorado.
My youngest and my parents with me in Boulder, just 15 minutes from Superior/Louisville, Colorado
My initial response was sadness. In November we left Superior, Colorado (Louisville is literally next door, and both towns share the same zip code). It was, and in so many ways still is, home. A piece of my heart will always be there.

Just today, my nine year old was talking about how much she still misses Colorado. I said it was probably time we moved on and embraced our new town. I was trying to convince both of us. "But what if my heart stays there?" she asked. I hugged her, in part needing a hug myself.

I wouldn't give up my time in Colorado, and the wonderful friends I made there, for anything. It was a blessing. I'm a huge believer in all things happening for a reason. The reason isn't clear to me right now, but I trust it.

Don't get me wrong... I'll visit as much as possible. And, yes, my heart is still there and broke a little when we left. Hearts mend, it just takes time. Another thing I know about hearts, they grow and have immeasurable capacity. Just being Mom to three kids has taught me that.

Congratulations to all my Colorado friends. I miss you!

Where are pieces of your heart?

No comments: