October 14, 2017

October Frights Blog Hop: Day 5


Welcome to Day 5 of the October Frights Blog Hop. Today, I'm sharing a spooky Halloween story I shared years ago, but it's still one of my favorites. Hope you enjoy it.

Never Answer Death's Call

Darkness was everywhere. Thud. Thud. Thud. My heartbeat, deafening as it quickened, was the only sound. As my eyes adjusted to the blackness, I realized I was in a narrow passageway. Roots and dirt surrounded me. 

Cramped and terrified, I squeezed my eyes shut. “Wake up, before it’s too late.” A voice I didn’t know echoed in my head. My eyes flew open. Still, there was nothing. 

Panic set in. Then, I heard it. A noise like nails on a chalkboard, and it was getting closer. An eerie voice began to chant my name. 

“Don’t answer the call.” The voice from before. I moved forward, pushing away roots and spider webs to clear my path. My hand reached out just in time to keep me from running into a wall. A dead end. 

Again, my name echoed in the small space. This time, it was my mother’s voice. 

Relief flooded through me. I turned and started to answer, but before I could utter a sound, someone grabbed me from behind and clamped a hand over my mouth. A voice, so close to my ear I could feel the breathing, whispered, “Death is tricky. Never answer. He’ll take you.”


( ^_^ ) ( ^_^ ) ( ^_^ ) ( ^_^ ) ( ^_^ )

Many years ago, I had this dream and awoke to my mom shaking me. When I told her about it, she said her grandmother once told her that you should never answer a voice calling to you in the night because it was Death. 

When my children were young, I would shiver whenever they called out to me at night. After all, Death is tricky.

( ^_^ ) ( ^_^ ) ( ^_^ ) ( ^_^ ) ( ^_^ )

Have you ever had a nightmare that stuck with you?

And don't forget to visit the other blogs in this hop...

1 comment: