August 27, 2012

Writing Forest, Finding the Clearing

Thanks to a new visitor to the blog, I realized it wasn't a writing wall I hit. Instead, I was trapped in the writing forest.

Kelley Lynn, author of Fraction of Stone (to be released 3/2013 from Sapphire Star Publishing) and blogger extraordinaire, said the following on my Hit the Wall post...

I happen to be a runner too! I've ran in about seven half marathons and refuse to believe in 'the wall'. (Running or writing).
 
Source
A wall is something solid, hard, unyielding, something a human cannot get through with our bare hands no matter how hard we try. To me, that sounds totally depressing.
 
I prefer to think of it more as a dense forest. Sure, we can't keeping chugging along strait ahead. Now there are trees in front of us, twigs, stumps and branches below us, but we can make it through. It just takes different focus, a slightly different path and a slightly different way to attack the journey.

I SO agree. I wish I had come up with that one myself. Her last sentence really struck a chord: Focus, Path, Attack the Journey.

I know I can get through this forest, no matter how dense or dark. Thanks to some time away, I'm actually sensing light and a small clearing just up ahead. Today, I spent an hour putting together my notes on my WIP and organizing how to get back to writing.

Starting tomorrow, since today had so much catch up from my hiatus, I am going to get the kids on the bus and go straight to my laptop, set the timer for one hour, and do nothing but novel writing/planning during that time. Phone on mute, Internet connection disconnected. Wish me luck!

Thanks again to Kelley for sharing such insight. I am now following her both on Kelley Lynn: Adventures Between the Bookends and Falling Into Fiction. Take a minute to find out more about her.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a wonderful way of looking at it! Thanks, Kelley.

Elise Fallson said...

Sounds good to me! (:

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Brilliant perspective! Thanks.

Elizabeth Anne Mitchell said...

Thank you, Kelley, and thank you, Tia. For all sorts of reasons, I needed to read that perspective.

I am so happy that your wall has become a forest. :)

Kelley Lynn said...

Ah! This makes me a little teary! I'm so glad my few words helped. And I'm so glad Elise helped us to 'meet' each other ;)

Jo Michaels said...

I'm glad to see you back. Good that the other members of the darkside club didn't have to come getcha ;) WRITE ON!

bookworm said...

This would make a wonderful book title: "Lost in the Writing Forest". Now, maybe I can think of the beginning of my weight loss journey as finding my way through a thick forest rather than a wall I can not penetrate. Good luck with back to school and back to writing.

Tia Bach said...

I agree, Melissa. As soon as I looked at Kelley's response, I felt better. A forest I can handle. A wall...

Elise, :-)

Susan, I thought so, too. I had to pass it on. Thanks again to Kelley.

Elizabeth, I really thought it would help others like it helped me. Glad it touched you. Hugs.

Kelley, THANK YOU! So glad we connected, too.

Alana, I love that title, too.

Tia Bach said...

Jo, Knowing you were willing to come get me was so touching! I really appreciate the support.

Julie Glover said...

Wonderfully put!

Gerry Hatrić said...

I sometimes find, partly due to blogging, that writing becomes to goal oriented. What happened to writing just because there is pleasure in that, just for me? Stuff the audience, grab a cute idea, and have fun with it.

Robert