October 7, 2016

What Do Sharks Have To Do With Paris?

At the beginning of September, I went on the trip of a lifetime to Paris. First, I enjoyed four days with my husband of 21 years. The best way to sum up our time together... I looked at him at some point and remembered all the reasons I married him. Paris truly is the city of love.

I adore Katie & Carlyle!
Then, I spent four days attending Janet Wallace's Next Chapter Writer's Retreat. Not only did I get to spend time with the amazing Katie John, Carlyle Labuschagne, Nely Cab, Jamie Anderson, and Jadah McCoy, but I also soaked up an incredible amount of knowledge from Janet Wallace, Regina Wamba, and Cat Espinosa.

I've been trying to figure out the best way to sum up my experience and its value. I could tell you about how inspiring it is to be with my tribe, with people who truly get me and my passion for writing. I could tell you how much I learned about photo shoots and visual branding (Regina Wamba deserves a special shout out for easing my anxieties over having my picture taken). Or, I could tell you how much I adored doing a reading in front of my peers and book lovers. We should all get out there and read our books aloud more often.

So much love for Jadah!
I can't tell you how many fears I faced by doing this. Fear of failure, fear of not fitting in, fear of not being good enough, and on and on. If I hadn't put myself out there and looked fear dead in the eye, I wouldn't have grown. Stay tuned for future posts on more details about specifics.

So, wait... what do sharks have to do with Paris?

At the heart of what I learned in Paris... you have to put yourself out there and take chances/risks to succeed. 

And this is where I come back to sharks. Do you watch Shark Tank? I'm a bit obsessed with it. And I've noticed a couple of things about these small business owners (which, my fellow authors, we are!):

* They don't let money stop them. They've usually put a lot of their own skin in the game before reaching out to the Shark investors.
* They never give up. Even when the sharks don't buy in, most of the owners say they will continue to pursue their dream. They believe.

My investment in my business is necessary. Will I always see a positive monetary return on investment? No. But can I grow if I always worry about that aspect? 

No.

I'm not saying to throw your money at everything! But don't let money stop you from success and growth, whether it's hiring a good editor or cover designer, attending a conference, hiring a publicist, etc.

We have to have the same commitment 
to our business as we do to our writing.

With Janet. 
And for those interested in a way to do that, can I suggest the Lift as You Climb Corps. Janet Wallace (Social Deviants) is the mastermind behind this. From her website:

This is a monthly subscription to exclusive videos, live calls, action plans, marketing assistance, mind and heart nurturing, and crazy massive accomplishments.

I have seen private clients and those who have taken my courses have MASSIVE leaps in income, fans, CONFIDENCE, and opportunities that have come their way. I have helped authors hit best-seller lists. I have created world-wide events that have been written up in USA Today, Hypable and Publisher’s Weekly. I have seen clients hit five-digit sales months repeatedly for this first time in their careers, and continue to do so. I have seen them triple or even quadruple fans.

I hear some people say there’s a secret formula. Guess what? There’s no secret. There is a way, though. More than one, actually. And one of them will work for you. There is no secret, but I won’t deny there is a little magic when you turn faith into frequency, when you turn a wish into a reality. This is what I do. This is what I love. And I want to be able to provide it daily instead of piece meal. I want to also be able to provide you with ways to empower yourself regularly.

Check out the website. I hope you'll join us. Her Monday mindset calls are the perfect kick in the butt to start your week on the right foot.

Never be afraid to say Yes to the next step.

♥  For me, I know I'll always have Paris. 

1 comment:

Jo Michaels said...

Great post! I, too, love Shark Tank. LOL! It's so true. Books are a business just like anything else. <3 WRITE ON!