August 19, 2015

Meet Some UtopYA2015 Lovelies (Unofficial) : Morgan Wylie


Please welcome the next guest in my Meet Some UtopYA2015 Lovelies (Unofficial) series. I’ve known Morgan online for a couple of years, but our lives recently crossed in a very “It’s a Small World” way.

We moved to California two years ago, and my daughter became friends with a sweet girl. One day when I was picking my elementary school daughter up from a playdate, her mom asked if I was an author because she noticed her sister and I were mutual friends. That sister… Morgan. So awesome!

So, this year, I was determined to finally meet Morgan. She’s amazing, sweet, and always has a smile on her face.

Thanks for hanging out on the blog today!

MW: It really is a small world sometimes, isn’t it?! I was floored when my sister asked if I knew you. I was like, “Well, yeah she’s awesome, but how do you know her?” It was so fun to FINALLY meet you in person and meet your lovely daughter as well.


My 15yo daughter was so excited to meet you this year, too, because she’s a huge fan of your The Age of Alandria series (I can’t wait to get to them myself). What book are you currently working on?

MW: Currently, I am wrapping up a new project. It’s an NA paranormal romance that takes place in Seattle. It’s called Rylen and follows him and his crew as they lead the pacific northwest faction of an underground network of supernaturals (think underground magical crime syndicate) as the confront a conservative group intent on ridding the world of magic. Look for it end of this summer!

That sounds so cool, and I love the cover! When did you know you wanted to be an author?

MW: I had dabbled with writing on and off during my school years, but hadn’t done much with it. In 2001, I had thought about writing non-fiction during some years I that I had shelved reading fiction, but just wasn’t “feelin’ it”. Finally, in 2007 I had been feeling the need and urge to read and write again (I know that took awhile to come back to it, right?) but just wasn’t finding the right story. I had decided that was what I really wanted to do though, and in 2009—7 months preggo—I finally found my story and have been writing it ever since.

My story is very similar. I always dabbled, but I started really writing when my first child was born. So, as an author, where do you see yourself in five years?

MW: Hmmm… I plan to continue writing full time (even more so than I am now), I want to be traveling more/attending more conferences, and want to be expanding not only further into YA and NA genres but also middle-grade.

I think Middle Grade is a great area to move into. I've thought about it myself. I've been asking everyone during this series to share their inspiration, because it's so important. What is your favorite inspirational quote? Why?

MW: “Not until we are lost, do we begin to find ourselves.” Henry David Thoreau. 

For me, I was trapped in a box of being someone I believed I should be or who people told me I was. It took me coming to a place in myself where I felt lost and unsure of who I was and where I was going in life. But then I found myself. It’s not always a quick easy path, but I believe it was essential for me to be lost in order to find myself.

It's like you know me or something! I could have given a very similar answer. UtopYA, renamed Utopia for it's fifth year in 2016, brings so many people together. What do you think makes it so special?

MW: For me, it has always been the people. I love and enjoy all the learning and inspirations, and FUN, but I have made truly enriching relationships—relationships that make me a better person and a better writer—there that I will continue to cherish for years to come.

I asked everyone to send in their favorite photo from UtopYA2015, and I love that Morgan sent this awesome collage...


✮ Quick Answers 

Last Movie you Saw: Inside Out (loved it!)
Comedy, Romance, Drama, or Horror? Romance
Last book you Read: Spring Rain by Lizzy Ford and Edge Season Two, episode 4 by Jamie Magee, and Fighting Destiny by Amelia Hutchins (it was a binge reading week)
First Job: Corporate Office Assistant for a health club (I think this was my first)
Gift cards or Cash? Gift cards
Favorite Vacation Spot: Disneyland

I hope to see you in Nashville next year, if not sooner!
MW: Absolutely!! Thank you so much for having me!!

More about Wylie

Morgan Wylie published her first novel, Silent Orchids, one year after moving across the country with her family on a journey of new discovery. After an amazing three years in Nashville, TN and the release of two more books, Morgan and her family found their way back to the Northwest where they now reside. Still working everyday with great optimism, Morgan continues to embrace all things: “Mama”, wife, teacher, and mediator to the many voices and muses constantly chattering in her head… where it gets pretty loud!

You can find her and news on her books at the following:

MorganWylieBooks on Facebook
@MWylieBooks on Twitter/Instagram
Goodreads and Amazon (Author Bio)

Silent Orchids (The Age of Alandria: Book One) is FREE right now! 
Veiled Shadows (The Age of Alandria: Book Two)
Daegan (The Age of Alandria: A Companion Novella)
Fractured Darkness (The Age of Alandria: Book Three)

Please visit often for more UtopYA2015 Lovelies (Unofficial) interviews, 
and check out the announcement post to see
the schedule and links to past interviews.

1 comment:

Jo Michaels said...

Perfect interview, you two! Loved it to the moon and back again :)