September 22, 2014

Meet Some #UtopYA2014 Lovelies (Unofficial): Devyn Dawson


Next up in my Meet Some #UtopYA2014 Lovelies (Unofficial) series is Devyn Dawson. I was fortunate to meet Devyn at a North Carolina writer's conference. She's amazing!

Devyn, thanks so much for popping by the blog today. And, just in case I haven’t told you enough, thanks for all the knowledge you pass my way. It has been invaluable. Oh, and it was so great seeing you at UtopYA and in New Bern, North Carolina. I appreciate you inviting me to do a book signing with you. It was so much fun! 

Tia, Devyn's Light Tamer model, Devyn Dawson
We have to talk about your new book, Killing Me Softly. It came out July 15th, and I was thrilled to read an advanced copy. (Check out my review here).

About Killing Me Softly
(from GoodReads)

When Tate was stationed at Tinker Air Force Base, he never imagined he'd meet anyone who understood him.

Holland's best friend, Andy, died six months ago, leaving her alone and friendless. Her father is bi-polar and takes six pills twice a day to keep it under control. Life is complicated and her dad is too needy for her to go out and have any fun.

One night her co-worker convinces her to go out to see this new musician, a guy in the Air Force who's amazing on the guitar.

He walked on the stage and sang a haunting song that touched her soul. From the way he held the guitar, to the way he flashed her a crooked smile, she knew she had to know him. Without warning, music will be the thing that ties their lives and their hearts together.

This story is about heartache and love. Holland finds her heart beating again in the arms of Tate. This book is a CLEAN New Adult - No Hard Core Cussing - No Sexual Scenes.

What do you love most about the main character, Holland?

Devyn:  Holland is strong, she has to be to handle her daily life with her father.  I love that you start to see the hidden girl in her, the one who flirts and enjoys having the door held open for her.

My daughter loves your Light Tamer series, and I am a fan of Cry Me A River (my review) and Killing Me Softly. You have a gift for crafting memorable characters who emotionally engage the reader. What do you draw from to infuse your characters with such richness?

Devyn:  All of the women/girls in my books have bits and pieces of every woman/girl in my life.  In the Light Tamer series, the sarcastic loud mouth Amber is very much like I was in high school after my own brother died.  The grandma is much like my mother.  Holland is a menagerie of every strong woman in my life.  I needed Holland to be real.  There’s a scene about suicide, and Tate’s answer is hopefully one that will ease the minds of those who’ve had the same question.  I try to make the dialogue real and deep, especially in Killing Me Softly.

You definitely have a gift with dialogue! Who has been your favorite character to write so far? Can you choose?

Devyn:  I love Abel from The Legacy of Kilkenny Saga.  It starts out with him being an immature sixteen year old boy who grows into a man and alpha.  He is loosely based on my son, at least some of his mannerisms.  My son isn’t a werewolf though.  Ha!

Good to know. As I mentioned above, you have been so wonderful to share what you’ve learned about indie publishing with me. Who was influential to you early on?

Devyn:  Tiffany King is hands down the biggest help as far as showing me the ropes.  Another person who helped and still helps me is the amazing Quinn Loftis.  She has been kind enough to share an excerpt of my books at the back of her books, and I can’t tell you how many people have bought my books because of that alone! 

Thanks for paying it forward! I was so thrilled to finally meet your daughter, Paris Rieske, at UtopYA. She is your editor and appears on the cover of Killing Me Softly. I worked with my mom on Depression Cookies, so I know how special mother-daughter relationships can be. With three daughters of my own, I’d love your advice on how to maintain a close relationship.

Devyn:  Be sure to take some Dramamine for the roller coaster ride!  The one thing I’ve tried to be for her is one she can open up to about anything and not be judged.  I know much much much more than my own mother ever knew, but I’m glad she’s comfortable enough to share with me.  My mom and I were close, and I adored her, but I always wanted the mom I could go to for certain things, but she was too old school to understand.  

Quick Questions…

Favorite Punctuation Mark: DOTS …..
Ocean or Mountains? Mountains
Favorite Alcoholic Beverage: Grey Goose Vodka
Favorite Dessert: Anything chocolate
Shower or bath? Love both
Sweet or Sour?  Sweet

I’m already looking forward to the next time I get to see you. Enjoy the rest of your summer. Oh, and I’m looking forward to hosting your daughter soon as well. She’ll be chatting about editing and her cover model work.

Devyn: Thank you so much for having me on your blog!  It was so nice to see you again!  Your daughter and mother are so amazing, I hope to see you again next summer.

Oh, and Devyn and I worked on a project together...

I'm so excited to be a part of Destiny Calling, a boxed set featuring works by Michele G. Miller, Devyn Dawson, Tressa Messenger, Brea Essex, and me. 

There are SIX books for $0.99 and 100% of royalties will be donated to Love is Louder. 

For more information and buy links, please check out my post here

More about Devyn

I've thought of myself as a writer for as long as I can remember.  I played grown-up with my family, until everyone grew up and left me to figure out what I really wanted to be.  Jumping over the cliff, I took a leap of faith and wrote my first full length novel, The Legacy of Kilkenny.  My love of young adult books, helped mold me into the writer I am today.  The books I write, reflect the types of books I enjoy reading.  Every story I write will have a huge twist at the end, one that often leaves the reader in shock (no pun intended, if you know me, you know why I say that, LOL).  Thank you for considering to read my books.  Happy reading!

Find out more about Devyn: Website, Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Blog and Bublish.


Please come back for more #UtopYA2014 Lovelies (Unofficial), and check out the announcement post to see the schedule.

1 comment:

Jo Michaels said...

Awesome interview, ladies :) I have one later in the year with Devyn, so I'll be peeking back in on this one for pointers. LOL

WRITE ON!