June 1, 2012

Fun Facts Fridays Debuts

June 1st... the first day after sixty days of challenges. So what do I do? Why I sign up for another challenge, of course! I'm excited to participate in the Author Blog Challenge, which begins officially tomorrow, June 2.

Source
After that, I'm going to try a new routine for July and August. I'll be posting 4 times a week. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday (ROW80 updates). Occasionally an inspired Tuesday, Thursday, or Saturday might happen. I'm nothing if not flexible (my husband is laughing somewhere!).

In the past, I haven't stuck with theme days for long. But I'm going to give it another whirl. Starting now, Fridays will be Fun Facts Fridays. I was so inspired by the Blogging from A to Z Challenge, because it allowed me to expand my creativity beyond the theme of writing and mother and daughter stories. Fridays are now up for grabs... whatever facts I find fun!

Today I found some fun and  interesting facts about words.
(Source: EnglishClub.com)

1. Only two English words in current use end in "-gry". They are "angry" and "hungry".

Funny... I am always angry when I'm hungry.

2. A sentence that contains all 26 letters of the alphabet is called a "pangram". The following sentence contains all 26 letters of the alphabet: "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog." This sentence is often used to test typewriters or keyboards.

Now, what I really want to know... What person sat there and came up with that sentence, and how long did it take? I was going to challenge myself to do one, but it seemed silly to take away some other person's achievement. ;-)

3. The word "alphabet" comes from the first two letters of the Greek alphabet: alpha, bēta.

Okay, that's just plain obvious. So why didn't I know it?


What's your favorite fun word fact?

Please check back every Friday for some fun and interesting facts.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

5 comments:

Elise Fallson said...

In high school I took a keyboarding class and we must have typed "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" a million times! Gonna love your fun facts Friday theme! (:

Anyes said...

Lots of exciting projects coming up for you Tia, enjoy them all :-)

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I love fun facts with words! How about the fact that an extreme fear of long words is hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia. Ironic, huh?

Carolina said...

I can't remember where I saw it but I like using 'hungry' and 'angry' together..hangry! I am usually angry when I'm hungry...blood sugar dropping and no food in site...!

Tia Bach said...

Elise, Too funny. I don't remember ever typing that exact sentence, but I'm sure I did.

Julie, A great one. Never heard that before. Seems like it should be a fear of big animals (hippos!).

Thanks, Anyes.

Carolina, I am a very hangry person some days then. Too fun!