January 13, 2012

Who Comes Up with These Days?

Superstition suggests Friday the 13th brings bad luck. According to Wikipedia, the fear of Friday the 13th is called friggatriskaidekaphobia (Frigga being the name of the Norse goddess for whom "Friday" is named and triskaidekaphobia meaning fear of the number thirteen). So, no, it's not just the fear of a man named Jason.

But that's not all today is. January 13th is also:

* Blame Someone Else Day
* International Skeptics Day
* Make Your Dream Come True Day

Am I the only one who sees a contradiction?

Source: Wikipedia
My mind conjured up the Sesame Street children's song:

One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?


All in one day, you are supposed to be skeptical, blame someone else, worry about bad luck, and... make your dreams come true. Maybe my mind doesn't follow.

To make your dreams come true, you must put in a lot of hard work but many times you must take a leap of faith. A very difficult task for a skeptic. I guess you could blame someone else if your dreams didn't come true, but that's not until after your attempts at success. And dreamers can't focus on such silly things as bad luck.

I choose to think of today as Make Your Dream Come True Day. For me, it will be a day of reflection. What are my dreams? What steps do I need to take to fulfill them?

Do you ever wonder who comes up with these special days?

8 comments:

a.eye said...

I guess on the 13th you could work to make your dreams come true, and since it's not likely to happen in one day, you could be skeptical that it will ever happen and then blame it all on someone else.

Claire Hennessy said...

Definitely a 'dreams come true' Friday 13th for me! Got to work at my new job and it was French Toast Friday! Yes! Ahhhh :)

Leah Marie, Unpunctuated said...

I blame someone else for my skepticism about my dreams all coming true today...

Frigga is so fun to say. ;-)

Passing through via the NaBloPoMo Soup!

Larissa T. said...

I have often wondered who comes up with these things.
Seriously?
Oh well. Happy 'Dream Come True' Friday!

Eloise Currie said...

Amazing that superstitions persist - breaking mirrors, walking under ladders, crossing fingers - all of it. And I still find myself thinking about these things, even though they make no sense. Oh,well. Maybe its an admission that we still cannot explain everything!

bookworm said...

I'm waiting for National Sit Around and Eat Chocolate Day. Although, French Toast Friday at work would be pretty cool. But seriously...Wikipedia has an interesting discussion of unlucky - and lucky - 13. I think superstition is something hard wired into the human brain - all cultures I've read about have them.

Anonymous said...

I usually forget it's Friday the 13th until it's over, so I don't enjoy it as much as I should, sitting around waiting for something bad to happen.

I don't know who comes up with the special days, but I'd like to know who okays them. Is there a little office in Washington, D. C., dedicated to accepting submissions and stamping them "Approved"?

Tia Bach said...

We really should come up with our own days, since clearly anything goes. ;-)

Thanks so much for all your comments. I'm traveling and apologize for not thanking everyone sooner.