This year was full of ups and downs, but I have a new mantra for 2014... gratitude and positivity. For Christmas, I gave myself a gift: a journal with entries to fill out. Each day, I will answer the following: My goals for today, Today I feel, The funniest thing that happened today, The best part of my day, and Something I look forward to tomorrow. I'm excited to focus on all the wonderful blessings in my life and stay out of the trap (as much as possible) of being hard on myself and letting stress consume me.
So, to wrap up 2013, I wanted to share my Top 10 of 2013 (in no particular order)...
1. I traveled cross-country with my girls (plus, my mom joined me until I reached CO and my dad joined us from CO to CA). So many wonderful memories from this trip.
2. I published Chasing Memories. Through the process, my editor and I became very close. I am very grateful for Jo Michaels in my life. I will finally get to meet Jo, and many other writer friends, in person at UTopYa in Nashville in June 2014. So excited!
3. I won a short story competition.
4. I discovered that I love wine. I always thought I hated it until my husband and I (along with his brother and soon-to-be new wife--seeing them get married will be on the top of my 2014 list) visited Napa over the holidays. I like it sweet.
5. My husband and I were able to spend two weekends in San Francisco, four days in St. Thomas, and a night in Napa this year (sans kids). Not bad. We'll celebrate 19 years of marriage in March (and celebrated 23 years of being together this August). My love for him grows every year.
6. We had two wonderful family trips: one with my family to Disney World and one with my husband's family to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.
7. I won NaNo 2013. My first NaNo was in 2012. I think I'm addicted. Planning to participate every year now.
8. I edited/proofread some amazing books this year: Borrowed Things by Doris Schneider as well as Mystic ~ Coralie, Mystic ~ Melody, and I, Zombie by Jo Michaels. All wonderful books! I look forward to more in 2014 thanks to Indie Books Gone Wild.
9. I read some great books this year and a large percentage of them were indie. With each year, the quality and cleverness of indie books gets better. So excited to read many more this year. For a list of my 4.5-star and higher rated books in 2013, please visit my review blog, Mom in Love with Fiction. The post will go live 1/1/14.
10. My family and I moved to California. In my heart, I'm a California girl.
This list also serves as my A Round of Words in 80 Days (ROW80) wrap-up for 2013 and Round 4. I've met many goals this year, but I'm excited to define my 2014 goals to begin Round 1 of 2014 on January 6.
And, in case you missed it and you've still got the holiday spirit in you... stop by and listen to YAPodcasts A Christmas Carol here. Several NA and YA authors read an abridged version of the classic. Plus, there's a giveaway of some awesome books that ends later today (12/30/13). Enter here.
Wishing everyone a happy and healthy 2014 overflowing with special moments and many blessings!